Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Without Us, We are Nothing

An excellent, long Pew study on American feelings and attitudes about family, and how our lives have turned out, was released just in time for the holidays.  I'd like to focus on a couple of facts and share some Thanksgiving observations:
  • Most of us are grateful and satisfied with our family lives, obligations and all.
  • Not surprisingly, we also feel most obligated to those who we rely on the most; for the young that is often their friends, for us older folks that's parents and children.

This says a great deal to me.  The role of mutual obligation in our private and social networks is perhaps under-appreciated in this country.  There is generosity and sacrifice, of course, but also gratification in the fact that we have something to give to those we love and depend upon.  Independence is a fine thing, but abandonment is a tragedy--how fortunate we are that families and friends understand that our independence is not the whole of who we are.


I know that I feel grateful for the fact that those closest to me trust me and understand me enough to ask for what they need, and sometimes fault myself that it's so hard for me to do the same.  


This Thanksgiving, let marketers, too, be grateful for the respect that is implied in our obligation to provide safe, healthy, high quality products, and empathetic, honest marketing campaigns.  Without us, we are nothing.


Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment